Friday, November 03, 2006

Politics and Media Blog Project

Vote as Your Parents Tell You... Genetically Speaking?

After reading (yet another) article about death and conflict in Palestine/Israel I couldn't help but take note of another headline on the G&M website. As I have something of a "hobby" interest in science, and a definite interest in political "science", I find the idea of this article quite intirguing.

"The goal is to persuade people to accept that political views aren't just random opinions thrown together by a combination of environmental influences." says John R. Hibbing, who has a team of political scientists and geneticists trying to connect political ideology to genetic make-up through a study on twins.

Obviously the idea of this, as discussed in the article, is causing a lot of debate and skepticism! And the "truth" of the matter may be a long way off. Personally, though, I think that it is a fascinating study, and while gentics probably isn't the end-all it does play a role. Especially when addressing the broader area of social relations. This is something of a "pet" article for me (I did a project on genetics and social relations some years ago) but when I saw this article I thought I would put it out there for others to share their views!

Check out the article (link below) and let me know your thoughts!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061102.wpoligen1102/BNStory/Science/home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home