Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Telus tells CRTC

Hi!

I was looking through the news to get back into the present after spending a couple of hours reading Plato's Republic, so this should be a nice change of pace!

I thought it was interesting to see a current article regarding CRTC regulatory action. May want to give the following article a read (it's short) if you have no idea what I'm talking about:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061018.wtelus1018/BNStory/Business/home

I think it's interesting to see a major player more or less telling the government-authorized controler to ease up or else. It seems to me that in such a competive market, the role of the CRTC is dwindling. While this article doesn't go in-depth, it's clear that big business sees the CRTC creating a definite competitive disadvantage for the Canadian players. I think this is of major concern to us, as Canadians. While there may be the need for some government (or government-related) intervention, and I think this need does exist, I do not think we should allow it to come at the expense of our ability to compete globally. The part of Mr. Entwhistle's "recipe" that I find most interesting is: " • following the market's lead where ever possible" To me this is a complete shift, and more or less a sneaky way of saying to the CRTC "We don't need you anymore". While I don't agree that business can be relied upon to self-regulate, clearly Entwhistle has made clear that business will demand change, or at the end of the day the end-consumer (us) will pay the price.

1 Comments:

Blogger AcceptanceSpeech said...

To respond:

Certainly it might be lovely to have a different Canada, as proposed. And maybe the CRTC could create this. If we would like to follow an isolationist international policy (or perhaps better put: if we could).

Realistically, without changing Canada in terms of population, consumption, geography and/or ethnic composition (to name a few of many factors), isolationism is not an option. So then we're left with the many issues of competive markets, which brings us to the demands of Telus (as an example).

On the flip side, however, c_advocate, I very much appreciate your insight on the impact on Canadian culture of the issue. For me, Canada is a place I'm pleased to be. And personally I don't find capitalism and corporate domination to be fundemantally an issue to my relationship with Canada as a place. Beyond that level, I don't find that economy defines culture. So my question becomes, can't an individual (by choice) have a cultural belief of whatever sort within a free market? Do we need to have publicly controlled communications to have culture?

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home